An event called the Night of the Homeless has taken place on the 17th of October, declared by the United Nations as the day against poverty and social exclusion, from year 2002. Now we are inviting new partners to participate in the event next autumn.
The organizers of the event agreed in their national meeting in Helsinki on the 15th of April 2002 on the following principles for their activity:
The Night of the Homeless Citizens’ Movement stresses everyone’s basic right to permanent residence- a home of one’s own.
The values shared by the organizers are as follows:
- We believe that homelessness is a national disgrace.
- The reasons for homelessness are complex and it is sometimes difficult to differentiate the cause from the consequence. Because of this, people under the threat of alienation often become actively excluded.
- We demand compliance with the Finnish Constitution according to which every person should be guaranteed the right to domicile.
- Our compassion and active support is with the most unprivileged.
- We stress cooperation beyond political or religious boundaries.
We believe that the most important goals in the near future are:
- to reach zero tolerance in most municipalities in dealing with homelessness so that it will not be tolerated under any circumstances
- to monitor the carrying out of The Scheme of Reducing Homelessness in, and
- to demand the state to draw up and execute a scheme to abolish homelessness.
For further information, please contact Hanna Piirainen, hanna.piirainen(ät)vvary.fi